Ever since I bid on a batch of kitchen sink cookies during the Healthy Living Summit’s bake sale, I’ve been thinking about creating my own batch of oatmeal-m&m-peanut butter-chocolate goodness. I based my recipe on Michelle’s Montana Whoppers recipe (omg, don’t they look delicious?), but made a few alterations.
First I had to assemble the ingredients:
- 2/3 cup salted butter
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cups granulate sugar
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 3 eggs (organic if possible), beaten
- 5 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 natural peanut butter chips (I used Sunspire brand)
- 6 ounces of M&Ms (mini size or any variety)
- Melt the butter in a small pan over low heat. Once butter has melted, pour it in a very large bowl.
- With a large wooden spoon, mix in the brown sugar, granulate sugar, and peanut butter.
- When the temperature of the butter-sugar-pb mixture is warm and no longer super hot, add in the eggs. If you add the eggs when the butter is still hot, you will get scrambled eggs. That would be bad!
- Next stir in the baking soda, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and M&Ms.
- Add in the oatmeal, one cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for 2 hours – don’t skip this step! Time is needed for the oats to absorb the butter/peanut butter.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or coat with cooking spray.
- Drop heaping spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet and flatten slightly with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for 6-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. These cookies have a tendancy to burn, so keep an eye on them!
- Cook the cookies on the baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Mmmm….So good! And since they contain oatmeal, peanut butter, and dark chocolate, they must be a little healthy. Right?
Are you a Kombucha lover? Whole Foods Bowery now serves it on tap! With all the probiotics and antioxodant this drink has, it might just be my new obsession!
Today is the first day of Autumn!! What’s your favorite part of the season? I love going for long runs under crisp blue skies and eating all sorts of apple and pumpkin goodies