Inspired by Megan and an Epicurious recipe, I decided to make a chocolate stout cake. With nearly 400 great on-line reviews, I know this was going to be a winner. I topped the rich chocolate cake with a simple whipped cream icing and fresh strawberries.
The batter made 9″ double-layer cake and 12 cupcakes.
Chocolate Stout Cake with Whipped Cream Icing (Adapted from a Bon Appetit recipe)
- 16 oz stout beer
- 4 sticks of butter
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 Tbs baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups Greek yogurt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbs sugar
- fresh strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 9″ cake pans and one cupcake pan.
- Bring 2 cups stout and 4 sticks butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in large bowl. Using a stand mixer, beat eggs and yogurt in another large bowl to blend.
- Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just until combined. Add flour mixture and beat on slow speed.
- Mix together batter until completely combined. Pour into cake/cupcake pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 35 minutes (25 minutes for the cupcakes).
- Cool cakes completely and then remove from pans.
- Combine heavy cream, vanilla, and sugar in a bowl and chill for 30 minutes.
- Using the whisk attachment on a stand mixer (or hand mixer), beat cream mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Frost cake with whipped cream and decorate with strawberries.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
The cake was gobbled up by our party guests in under an hour – success!
Congratulations to Kate – winner of the Vitatops! Kate – email me your mailing address at firstname.lastname@example.org
If only there were more Costcos in Iowa! I love the chocolate with chocolate chips – yummmm!
Question: What’s the best type of birthday cake?