Happy Thursday! A few nights ago, Alma cooked dinner for the two of us. Her veggie-packed ratatouille was perfect for the cooler Autumn weather that we’ve been having. Read on for the recipe!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large spanish onions
- 1/2-1 head garlic
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 eggplant
- 4 roasted red peppers (from jar)
- 1 large can diced tomatoes, drained
- a few pickled jalapeño slices
- a few basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- quinoa (follow instructions on package – bring 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 min)
- Wash zucchini, squash, and eggplant and chop into equal sized pieces. Cut roasted peppers. Chop onions and mince garlic.
- Heat a bit of EVOO in a VERY LARGE frying pan (I usually put one tiny piece of onion in and wait until it sizzles – that’s when it’s hot enough).
- Add onions and stir for one minute, add garlic 1 minute later, and sautee onions + garlic. You will need to add more EVOO at least twice.
- When the onions + garlic start to brown, add the zucchini, squash, eggplant, roasted red peppers, and jalapeños.
- Stir for a few minutes until the veggies start to loose volume, then add the drained can of diced tomatoes, the basil leaves, and some salt.
- Continue to cook on high heat, stirring continuously until the eggplant, zucchini and squash soften to your liking. Serve on top of quinoa. Enjoy!
Megan’s Notes: I bet some soft goat cheese would pair well with this dish. And if you’re looking for extra protein, you could always add a can of beans or cooked chicken. But don’t forget – quinoa is a grain that is very high in protein
In my efforts to eat economically, I’ve become a big fan of beans. Check out why Runner’s World calls beans the perfect food for runners.
It’s October and that means pumpkin time! I go a little pumpkin crazy this time of year: bread, pie, cookies, lattes, oatmeal. I love it all! Check out these 11 amazingly delicious pumpkin recipes.
Question: Now that I know your fav ways to enjoy cranberries, how do you like your pumpkin? I’d love to get my hands on some pumpkin ice cream!